Tuesday, January 25, 2005

it was only a headache ----- Tuesday 25 January

Mondays don't really stink when you don't have a job. Why would they? I have trouble remembering what day of the week it is anyhow. I usually have to check my computer or my cell phone to answer that conundrum. But I had at some point during the day acquired an irritating headache, and my negative post title was a result of that. Finally, after the administration of some hot cocoa late last night, the headache did disappear, and I discovered wonderful things in the world of the internet....

Wiki. It all started with stumbling onto www.pmwiki.org through a test site of my friend Randy. And then I started learning about the concept of the WikiWikiWeb. I was immediately intrigued and quickly hooked. Webpages that exist to be edited by one and all who might run across them? A community of contributors that potentially includes every browser ever to access the page? Of course, there are ways to set up password-protected pages and wiki sites, in which case the remote-access site maintenance possibilities are endless, not to mention the ways I could revolutionize my blog. In fact, Laura has already done this-- her new blog is part of her new wiki.

Learning about wiki cemented the recent resolution I had made (post-New Year's) to restart a website. So I reinstalled Dreamweaver (my hard drive was reformatted last fall following a particularly horrible system crash) and went to find out what sort of webspace comes with the DSL connection we have here at the house. Unfortunately, it's crap-- some SBC Yahoo! Geocities junk that's so user-friendly it can't be used-- so that bogged me down temporarily, till I remembered that if my OU email account is still active, then my OU webpage is too. Unfortunately, in the midst of all this I encountered problems with my Dreamweaver installation (which these days is the best FTP I have, since WS_FTP decided to start charging for everything) and this morning I

Edgar just walked through with a bird wing-- just the wing-- in his mouth. It has now been disposed of, and I was unable to locate any other part of the bird in the house.

As I was saying, I uploaded PmWiki but encountered problems getting it set up-- which I am mostly sure is something to do with the OU server. Anyhow. Wiki will have to wait. Once my income resumes, I'll get my own space. In the meantime, I'll put together some things on my OU space--- which is evidently still located on the faculty-staff server rather than the student (OU is nothing if not behind), so the current link is:
faculty-staff.ou.edu/P/Sarah.E.Potter-1/
Something should be up by the end of today.

And now, the grocery store.

1 comment:

randy said...

Have you seen Wikipedia [http://www.wikipedia.org]? It's such an awesome idea. It has really changed the way I think about the web ... that's the reason I am going to test out PmWiki.

Unfortunately, the OU web space won't handle PHP (the server-side programming required to make PmWiki run). I don't even know if you can find some wiki software that will run on OU web space.

If you are ready to make the plunge and pay for hosting (it's a *huge* step to make), I would recommend [http://www.icdsoft.com/]. It costs $5/month for space and $5/year for the domain; they make you pay for one full year -- $65 -- upfront. I have been using them for two years, and I recommend them to everyone.